Friday, June 20, 2008

The Shack

As I was confronted with the events of my life the last couple of weeks, there have been many suggestions of what books to read. With Eddie, the books on having a miscarriage or loosing a child were helpful, if you have ever read any of these books you would probably agree that once you have read one you have read them all. This time around with Judah I was not in any mood to read any of the books of such categories, so when my youth pastor from years ago, Randall Popham suggested The Shack I was not sure what kind of book I was getting into. When I went to buy it I was surprised to see it on the New York best seller, and even more excited when I saw that it was fiction, exactly what I needed. This book has been blowing me out of the water, (which who knows what this phrase really means if you think about it....I am not in any water as I am writing this...). The book has been a friend on some of my sleepless nights and darkest days. I am amazed at how many times I have felt like the book was written just for me, thanks Randall for the suggestion! Here is just one example: (not wanting to ruin the book if you have not read it yet, I will refrain from describing to much if I can). Mackenzie is a father who after many years of running from God is invited to meet him in a shack.... Sarayu is described as the Holy Spirit(I hope that is not saying to much...) After blogging last night about being a mess I came up to bed and read this out of the book...

"I didn't do that much, really," he apologized. "I mean, look at this mess." His gaze moved over the garden that surrounded them. "But it is really beautiful, and full of you, Sarayu. Even though it seems like lots of work still needs to be done, I feel strangely at home and comfortable here." The two looked at each other and grinned.

Sarayu stepped toward him until she has invaded his personal space. "And well you should, Mackenzie, because this garden is your soul. This mess is you! Together, you and I, we have been working with a purpose in your heart. And it is wild and beautiful and perfectly in process. To you it seems like a mess, but to me, I see a perfect pattern emerging and growing and alive - a living fractal."

(Bold and italics are mine)

As I read this I was overcome with joy in my heart, although I feel like the biggest mess, God see it as beauty, perfectly in process as he wants it to be. It is exciting and a bit scary all wrapped up into one. I hope you get a chance to read this book, I would love to know what you think about it as well! I hope I did not ruin anything for you!

No comments: